Sunday 28 September 2008

What a week that was!

Hi Everyone,

It all started with me being informed that I'd been shortlisted for the North Tyneside Short Story Competition! Great excitement ensued. This meant I jumped up and down a lot and shrieked like a banshee!

On Monday evening I performed a short story at the Lamplight at Stanley. I was in great company. We had poetry; poetry performed with background music; prose and accompanied singing. The room was stuffed full of people supportive of the arts, God was in his heaven and all was right in the world of writing. I fell into bed at 11.40pm and closed my eyes....

...to immediately open them to a bleary Tuesday. Well, that's what it felt like. I slogged away at work all week till Thursday and a 14+ hour day. Don't ask! Friday was a blur followed by...

...the gathering of the clans. I'd been invited to the awards ceremony on Saturday with my nearest and dearest. As I'm in the north and they're in the south, this meant that we became a hotel for the weekend. Guests arrived late on Friday night. You've got to chat and catch up haven't you? I fell into bed at 12.30 to close my eyes... and you know the rest.

Saturday arrived and I tried to stay calm, difficult when you can feel a pulse of excitement racing around your body. The weather was unbelievably balmy for September so we all went for a walk on the beach. The sea was like molten silver; the sunlight drizzled over the sand. Magic!

We gathered in Wallsend's Town Hall for a lovely ceremony. I won! It still hasn't sunk in. To celebrate I took the family out for a fantastic meal that evening.

What a week!

Lorna

1 comment:

Yvonne Young said...

That`s the way to go Lorna!!!!! Will definitely try the Lamplight, let me know the next time you`re applying for a spot. YY XX